Plum Dipping Sauce
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 fresh red chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup whole canned tomatoes with juice
- 12 ounces red plum jam
- 1 cup apple cider (to thin sauce)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- ½-pound bag unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pound Catfish cut into strips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend to a smooth consistency. This will take several minutes and require stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides.
- Place the red plum jam in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Thin the melted jam with apple cider to desired consistency. Pour the blended ingredients into saucepan.
- While stirring, allow mixture to come to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 more minutes. Stir in the chopped scallions.
- Mix the coconut and bread crumbs together. Dredge the catfish strips in flour, dip in the egg wash, then coat the catfish strips in the coconut/bread crumb mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375 degrees in a deep-fry pan. Cook the catfish until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- Serve catfish with plum dipping sauce on the side.