3 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
12 ounces bacon, diced
1 pound smoked venison sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon oregano
1 cup dry roux mix, such as Tony Chachere’s
8 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked white rice and sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, COOK bacon and sausage over medium-low heat until bacon is browned. REMOVE bacon and sausage from heat and reserve.
- ADD olive oil, onion, celery, green bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until onions turn clear, about 10 minutes. Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, thyme, oregano and roux mix. Cook with roux mix for 10 minutes.
- Slowly ADD chicken broth 1 cup at a time, stirring until incorporated. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- ADD reserved bacon, sausage and catfish. Simmer gently for about 7 minutes.
- SEASON with salt and pepper to taste.
SERVE garnished with cooked white rice and sliced green onions.