3 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, tops reserved
1 small leek, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 large pinch saffron
1 cup dry white wine
1 (14-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, in juice
Juice of 1 orange
6 cups seafood stock
1 pound shrimp, peeled
¼ pound tiny clams, cleaned and beards removed
¼ pound mussels
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1 loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- HEAT olive oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed soup pan.
- ADD onion, fennel bulb, leek, garlic and a pinch of salt, and slowly sweat ingredients until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- SOAK saffron in wine and heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- ADD wine and saffron mixture and cook for 2 minutes, scraping any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- ADD tomatoes, orange juice, saffron and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- ADD catfish and cook 2 minutes. Add shrimp, clams and mussels; cook for an additional 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- LADLE into large bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve with toasted French bread slices.