- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or finely grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash white pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets (5 ounces each) cut into nuggets
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped, drained sweet pickle or chopped, drained capers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped, drained green olives (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Position oven rack on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- To make Homemade Tartar Sauce, combine ingredients and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray several times to coat.
- In shallow dish, combine cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder and white pepper. In another dish, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil.
- Roll nuggets in lemon juice. Then, roll in cheese mixture. Dust with paprika and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place catfish on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crust is golden and fish flakes easily. Serve with Homemade Tartar Sauce.
Catfish nuggets may be prepared and frozen for your family to enjoy at a later date. Simply follow the directions above. Once the fish is removed from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature. Place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy again, remove fish from freezer and place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake in a 400° F preheated oven for 15 minutes, and reduce temperature to 350° F for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden.