- 4 (about 6 ounces each) U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- Catfish Brine*
- 8 slices, toasted wheat bread
- Tomato Aioli**
- 8 slices crispy, cooked thick-sliced bacon
- 8 thin slices ripe tomato
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- Add catfish fillets to the brine; cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a hot smoker, using hickory chips, follow manufacturer’s instructions to prepare fillets until lightly smoked and fully cooked.
- Spread each toast slice with aioli.
- To assemble sandwiches: Place a slice of toast, aioli side up, on each of 4 plates. Top with a fillet. Layer each slice with 2 slices each of the bacon and tomato, top with arugula. Cover with remaining toast. Cut sandwiches in halves. Serve with chips, if desired.
For the Catfish Brine*: In a large bowl, combine 3 cups water with 1/2 sliced lemon, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup white wine, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 1 tablespoon each black pepper and sugar and 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried thyme and red pepper flakes.
For the Tomato Aioli**: Pour boiling water over 4 dried tomato halves; set aside to soften, about 15 minutes; drain well and finely chop. Combine tomatoes with 2 cups mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, and chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.